The Settings menu allows firm administrators to update and save global default settings for SafeSend Returns.
Please note:Only System Administrators have access to the Settings section.
- Click Settings in the left panel of SafeSend Returns.
- Select the settings group you want to adjust.
- Click Apply to save any changes made.
Here you can add, preview, and change Saved Message templates that you can apply while processing a return. Saved message sections:
- Saved Messages: The message appears after the taxpayer authenticates and clicks to begin.
- Attachment Instructions: This message appears in the Review > Attachments section on the taxpayer side (if attachments are included with the return).
- Paper File Instructions: This message appears before the taxpayer views their paper file return (if paper file returns are included and enabled).
Add a New Message
- Click the + icon above the message list.
- Enter a brief name for the message. This name will appear in the Message From Preparer drop-down in the Delivery Options tab during processing.
- Click the Default toggle to set this message as your firm default (optional).
- Only one message can be the default.
- Fill out the body of the message in rich text format. You can set the font size, style, alignment, and color of the text.
- Check Allow users to edit before sending to allow users to edit the message during processing (optional).
- Click Add to save the new message.
- To insert images, copy and paste them from another program.
- Click the Variables List to show all available variables that can be placed into the Body to automatically fill with the listed information.
Edit a Saved Message
- Click on a saved message from the message list. A preview of the message appears to the right.
- Click on the Edit button to bring up the editing window.
- You can do the following:
- Change the name of the message.
- Set the message as the default message to use when processing extensions.
- Edit the body of the message in rich text format. This lets you change the font size, style, alignment, and color.
- Let firm users edit the message before sending the extension.
- Click Save when you are done making changes.
Throughout the return process, clients receive email messages that contain instructions for filling out, reviewing, signing, and downloading their returnss. They also receive reminders if they haven't reviewed or signed their returns, or if they have a payment due. The following is a list of the email messages and their purpose.
Messages can be added, deleted, or edited by using the controls on the screen. The editing options are the same as those for the Saved Message section.
Whichever message is marked as the Default is sent to all return recipients. These templates cannot be selected on a return by return basis.
|Initial Email||This is the first message sent to the client when the return is delivered.|
|Review and Sign Extension Reminder||This is a reminder email sent to the client per the options set during delivery.|
|Voucher Reminders||This reminder email is sent prior to the voucher due date to clients.|
|Download E-Signed Forms||This message is sent to clients once all required parties have completed e-signing the forms in the return.|
|Payment Instruction||This email is sent when payments are required by the client.|
|Invoice Payment Success Mail Notification||The client receives an email message when their invoice is successfully paid (only applies when Stripe is used).|
|Voucher Revision Mail Notification||This notification is sent to the client when the firm uploads new estimated vouchers to the return.|
|Enable payment voucher reminders||When enabled, our system sends out automated reminders [ X ] days before the vouchers are due.|
|Set default reminder to||
Select the default reminder period via the drop-down to determine how many days before the due date our system will send those reminders out.
|Receive an email notification when your client adds payment information||When enabled, users receive email notifications when clients enter their payment information into our system. Note: We do not track the payments from the actual authority, only if the client adds the details to our system.|
Add a custom authority to apply to e-file forms and vouchers not automatically recognized by SafeSend Returns. All state and federal e-file forms and vouchers should be automatically recognized. Not all city/county forms are recognized.
- Click Add to create a new Custom Authority.
- Select the State for the Authority from the drop-down.
- Enter the name of the City.
- Enter the Online Payment URL if known.
- Select Prefix State Code with City Name (optional).
- Select Activated to make the new Authority available during processing.
- Click Add to save the custom authority to the list.
- Enter the Authority Name or City into the text box to search.
- Click the Edit pencil to open the Edit window. Make changes following A.1-6 above.
- Click Delete to remove the Authority from the list.
- Click Click to Deactivate/Activate to turn the authority on or off for processors.
Default Voucher Due Date
Select the preferred policy for voucher due dates when not printed on the page.
|SSR Default Due date||The default voucher due date is automatically applied to all vouchers. See our Voucher Due Date Policy article for more information.|
The voucher date is pulled from the page when possible, otherwise, it will use our defined Voucher Due Date Policy.
|Enable Invoices||Toggle on to allow invoices to be sent with returns.|
|Allow user to send without invoice||
Check the box to enable users to send returns without an invoice.
|Allow user to replace invoice||
Check the box to enable users to replace the printed invoice in the uploaded return.
Invoice Payment Processing Options
Click the radio button to enable Stripe Integration. For more information on how to enable payments through Stripe, please visit our Stripe Integration for Client Invoicing article.
|Third Party URL||
Click the radio button to enable payment through a Third Party URL. Select this option to enter a URL that our system will redirect to for invoice payments.
|Make Payment outside of SSR System||
Click the radio button to Make Payment outside of SSR System. This will disable all payment methods when selected. Payments will be processed outside of our program.
|E-Sign all returns||Click the radio button to enable electronic signature on all return types.|
|E-Sign when all included returns are allowed||Click the radio button to enable electronic signature except when authorities are included that do not allow e-sign.|
|Manually sign all returns||Click the radio button to disable the e-signature process on all 1040s.|
1040 Knowledge Based Authentication
Use Knowledge-Based Authentication to initiate the Signing Process (Required by IRS)
|Check the box to enable the KBA process for clients before e-signing.|
|Use Knowledge-Based Authentication to initiate the Signing Process for delegated signers (Required by IRS)||Check the box to enable the KBA process for delegated signers|
Allow ERO Signature Stamps
See the Signature Stamp Guide for more information.
|Use ERO Signature Stamps||Check the box to allow the option for a Partner/ERO user to upload a digital copy of their signature into the program to place onto returns.|
Enabled ERO Stamp Delegation
|Check the box to allow the Partner/ERO stamp to be applied automatically as users go through the preparation process.|
Additional Document for E-Sign
This setting lets you create specific document types that a user in the firm can choose when uploading additional documents for e-signing. By default, Engagement Letter, Consent Form, and Other are available options. To add or edit document types:
- Input a new name for a document type in the Column Value field.
- Click the green [ + ] button to add the input to the list.
- Click the Edit pencil to change the name of the document type.
- Click Delete to remove the document type from the list.
See the Signer Delegation: Firm Settings article for more information.
|Individual (1040) Returns||Toggle on to enable signer delegation for 1040 returns.|
|Entity (1041, 1065, 1120, 1120S) Returns||Toggle on to enable signer delegation for entity returns.|
Business & Trust Returns
Enable E-Signatures for Business & Trust Returns
|Check the box to enable e-signature for non-1040 returns.|
Automatic Signing Reminders
|Enable Automatic Signing Reminders||When enabled, our system sends out routine signature reminders.|
|Set default reminder to||
Select the default reminder period for signature requests.
E-File Forms Settings
|Do not insert dates on the E-File forms||Check the box to remove automatic date fields from e-file forms during processing.|
Manual Signature Options
- The Manual address list displays all of the current addresses on file in the program. A selected address is highlighted in blue.
- Click the blue [ + ] Add Address button to open a new window for address detail input.
- Input the Title for the address, the Name associated with the address, the Street Address, City, State, and ZIP code. A Fax Number is optional.
- Click the Edit pencil to open a new window to edit existing address information.
- Click the Delete can to remove the selected address from the record.
|Allow the Staff user group to deliver Tax Returns||Check the box to give users in the Staff group the ability to deliver returns.|
|Allow any internal user to Distribute K1's||Check the box to give users the ability to enter the return and send K-1s on the client's behalf. See K-1 Distribution - Firm Instructions for more information.|
Select how Transmittals are downloaded, either Include in the Tax Return PDF or Create a Separate PDF for the tax return and transmittals.
Select how Payment Vouchers are downloaded, either Separate by Quarterly Due Dates or Group in Single PDF.
For more information about paper file returns see the Paper File Returns article.
|Paper File Returns||
Toggle on to enable the Paper File tab during processing.
Customize Delivered Report
A custom column can be added to the Delivered Returns and Archive Returns sections for reporting. See the Custom Column Setup & Usage article for more information.
To add or edit a custom column:
- Enter the name of the custom column into the Column Name field.
- Click Update to save any changes to the Column Name.
- Click Delete to remove the Custom Column.
- Enter a new Column Value in the available text field.
- Click Add to create the value as a new selection in the Custom Column.
- Click Edit to adjust the name of a Column Value.
- Click Delete to remove the Column Value from available selections.
For more information about the integration, please see the Setting up TaxCaddy™ and SafeSend Returns Handshake article.
|TaxCaddy™||Toggle on to enable the integration with TaxCaddy™ and enter your TaxCaddy™ key.|
|SS Signatures-Mail Merge||
Click the Download icon to download the Mail Merge desktop app and Microsoft®Word plugin. See our Mail Merge Guide for information about this feature.
|SS Exchange-Web Add-in||
Click the Download icon to download the Exchange Outlook® plugin. See our SafeSend Exchange help center for more information about this feature.
For more information see the Finish Option - Download PDF article.
Toggle on to allow users to add the Download PDF option to the Finish step during processing instead of sending it via email to the client.
Select the tax software to enable your users to upload for that printing program.
|E-File Form||Toggle on to add a Powered by SafeSend Returns logo on the footer of e-file forms.|
Watermark templates can be created in the Settings menu and applied during processing. For more information about watermarks, see Watermark Setup and Usage.
- Enter a name into the Name field.
- Click the Add icon to open the Watermark Settings window.
- Add or Edit the Name of the watermark.
- Enter the Watermark Text to be displayed on the pages.
- Select the Watermark's Font Size.
- Select the Font style of the watermark.
- Choose the Opacity of the watermark.
- Choose the Color of the watermark.
- Click the Default toggle to apply the watermark to all returns automatically.
- Move the watermark to the desired location on the page. Use the Resize handles to grow and shrink the font area, and the Rotate handle to angle the text.
- Click Save & Close.
- Click Edit to open the Watermark Settings window for the selected watermark.
- Click the Delete icon to remove the watermark from the list.
Update emails are sent automatically to ensure the partner/client information is up to date before the next tax season.
|K1 Partner Information Update Email||
Click the Automatically Deliver Emails drop-down to select when partner information update emails are delivered to the return recipient.
|K1 Client Information Update Email||
Click the Automatically Deliver Emails drop-down to select when partner information update emails are delivered to the K-1 recipient.
SafeSend Returns provides IRS-generated instructional PDFs that are delivered to the K-1 recipient.
- Click the Tax Year drop-down to view/download/replace K1 instructional documents for different tax years.
- Click the Download icon to download the instructional document.
- Click Replace to replace the provided instructional document with your own.
K1 Distribution Instructions
The firm can edit the email notifications that are delivered to K-1 recipients. The message marked as Default will be sent to all K-1 recipients. See the Saved Messages section above for additional information about editing options.
- Click the blue and white Add Message button to add a new message template.
- Click the Edit button to edit the selected template.
- Click the Delete icon to delete the selected template.
SS Return Access Options
Set Access settings determine the default for who is and is not allowed to view returns after upload. Administrators will be allowed to view all returns, regardless of settings.
|Default Access set to Everyone||Click the radio button to allow all users to see all returns after upload.|
|Default Access set to Individual User||Click the radio button to allow only the user who uploaded the return to view it.|
|Allow user to set additional access to other users before delivery||Click the checkbox to allow the uploader to change the access settings.|
For security purposes, some firms want to control whether users can screen share with clients. This option can be enabled or disabled firm-wide. See the Screen-Share: CPA Experience article for more information about this feature.
|Enable Screen Share||Toggle on to enable screen sharing for all users in the firm.|
For 1040 returns, the taxpayer is required to enter part of their social security number (SSN). The firm can choose if you would like them to enter the last 4 or first 4 digits of their SSN.
|Last 4 of SSN||Click the radio button to have the taxpayer enter the last 4 digits of their SSN to authenticate.|
|First 4 of SSN||Click the radio button to have the taxpayer enter the first 4 digits of their SSN to authenticate.|
The firm can choose how long to retain standard returns and attest client returns. Returns will automatically be deleted after this retention period. The firm can also decide if it would like to allow users to override this default setting before the return is delivered.
Select a Default retention period by clicking the drop-down.
Select a Default retention period by clicking the drop-down.
|Allow any user to override before delivery||
Click the checkbox to allow users to override the retention period before delivery.
The firm can enable/disable multi-factor authentication for internal users and taxpayers. For more information about these features, see:
Single Sign On
The firm can enable/disable Single Sign On for internal users. For more information about this feature, see:
IP Filtering Options
The firm can restrict users from accessing their accounts unless they are logging in from a trusted IP. For more information about this feature, see:
The Developer Section contains advanced settings for firms that want to integrate their existing systems with the SafeSend Suite. It requires firms to have dedicated software programming resources and advanced knowledge of application programming interfaces.