The taxpayer can choose to manually sign instead of e-sign if they prefer. The taxpayer may be prompted to manually sign instead of e-sign for one of the following reasons:
- The taxpayer does not qualify for knowledge-based authentication (KBA).
- The taxpayer failed knowledge-based authentication (KBA).
- The firm set the return to be manually signed before delivery.
Please see the Client Experience help center article for a full walk-through of the taxpayer experience. This article will focus on the Sign step.
Choose to Manually Sign
Manually signed returns can be uploaded to SafeSend Returns, or those documents can be faxed or mailed to the firm. The taxpayer will follow the steps below after they have selected Manual Signature from the signing options screen:
- Click Download.
- The upload, delete, and mail options are not available until the documents are downloaded.
- Print and sign the downloaded forms.
- If they plan to re-upload the forms, they will need to scan the signed documents.
- Drag/drop or click on Choose File to upload documents OR
- Mail or fax the documents to the address/number listed.
- Click Delete to remove the uploaded document.
- Uploaded documents can be removed or added at any time.
- Click Next once all documents are uploaded.
- Click Confirm to finalize the upload.
Taxpayer Does Not Qualify or Failed KBA
If the taxpayer does not qualify for KBA or if they failed KBA, they will see a pop-up message notifying them they will need to complete the signing process manually.
Return Set to Manually Sign
If the firm sets the return to be manually signed before delivery, the taxpayer will not have the option to e-sign. They will only be allowed to manually sign. Once they reach the Sign step in the client experience, they will be immediately directed to Manual Signature download/upload screen.