The taxpayer can choose to manually sign instead of e-sign if they prefer. The taxpayer may be prompted to manually sign instead of e-sign for one of the following reasons:
- The taxpayer does not qualify for knowledge-based authentication (KBA).
- The taxpayer failed knowledge-based authentication (KBA).
- The firm set the return to be manually signed before delivery.
Please see the Client Experience help center article for a full walk-through of the taxpayer experience. This article will focus on the Sign step.
Choose to Manually Sign
Manually signed returns can be uploaded to SafeSend Returns, or those documents can be faxed or mailed to the firm.
- Navigate to the Sign section as outlined in the Client Experience help center article.
- Click the Manually Sign button.
- Click the Download documents requiring signature button.
- The upload, delete, and mail options are not available until the documents are downloaded.
- Print the downloaded e-file forms.
- Sign the documents.
- Scan or take a picture of the signed documents.
- Drag the signed documents to Drag files here or click to upload OR
- Mail or fax the documents to the address/number listed.
- Click Delete to remove the uploaded document if an incorrect document was uploaded.
- Click Continue once all documents are uploaded.
- Click Confirm to finalize the upload.
Uploaded documents can be removed or added at any time.
Taxpayer Does Not Qualify or Failed KBA
If the taxpayer does not qualify for KBA or if they failed KBA, they will see a pop-up message notifying them they will need to complete the signing process manually.
- Click OK to be directed to the manual sign step.
- Complete steps 3-11 above to manually sign the return.
Return Set to Manually Sign
If the firm set the return to be manually signed before delivery, the taxpayer will not have the option to e-sign. They will only be allowed to manually sign. Once they reach the Sign step in the client experience, they will be immediately directed to the download screen.
Complete steps 3-11 above to manually sign the return.
Please sign in to leave a comment.