SafeSend requires taxpayers to enter an access code before viewing their returns. This security feature ensures the return is accessed only by the appropriate parties. Access codes are randomly generated and delivered via mobile text messages or email.
- Access codes are randomly generated and will be valid for 20 minutes. After this time, you will be prompted to request a new code.
- Access codes are for one-time use only. Whenever you exit a return and go back to it, you will be prompted to request a new code.
What determines delivery via an email or a mobile text message?
Access codes are sent via mobile text message or email depending on the taxpayer information on file at the firm. The access code is sent via mobile text message if the taxpayer information contains a mobile phone number. If a mobile phone number is unavailable, the access code is sent via email.
Can a taxpayer add a mobile number to their profile?
Yes. While accessing your return, you can go to your profile menu and select My Account. You can then enter a mobile phone number.
What if you don't receive an access code?
- Access codes can take up to 5 minutes to arrive. Don't be alarmed if it doesn't immediately get sent to you.
- Access codes are only sent via mobile text message if that information is on file with your tax preparer. Check the email address you use with the firm to see if a code was sent there.
- Emailed access codes come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure that the code was not filed in a junk or spam folder. Add email@example.com to your contact list, or mark it as safe, to ensure you are getting the proper messages.
- If you have an IT department in charge of your email address, check with them to ensure your emails are not being quarantined.
- When accessing your return, make sure you use a modern web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge. Older browsers may not work correctly when requesting an access code.
If you still can't receive an access code after checking the items above, your tax preparer can generate one for you.
What if you receive an error when entering an access code?
- Access codes are only valid for 20 minutes and can only be used once. After that time, or if you previously accessed a return with that code, you will need to request a new one.
- If you enter an incorrect access code more than 3 times, your return will be locked. You will need to contact your tax preparer to unlock your return.